10 Ways College Teachers Can Support the Future
of CQ/CE and Your Students
[Lt to rt] Dancers with Melinda Ring [under] in Ring's Huh? at the Tang Teaching Museum at Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, NY, Feb., 2007. Rickety (2007), sculpture/installation by Martin Kersels. Video still © John Wagner and Galileo Multimedia. Courtesy of the Frances Young Tang Teaching Museum and Art Gallery at Skidmore College.
Professor, Dance Program, Middlebury College, VT
COLLEGE TEACHERS are a crucial link to the development of a thriving intelligent culture of national and international dance-makers. You can increase your students' access to vibrant ideas and practices in the field today. We suggest:
- Make certain your library subscribes to CQ.
- Order a back issue of CQ as a text for a course rather than photocopying articles. Using back issues as material for class reveals the context in which the author's thinking has currency. It also introduces them to the journal and encourages subscriptions.
- Give writing assignments based on CQ style/format as practice for writing for publications. For over thirty years, the journal has offered dancers of all persuasions—including dance academics—a place to publish, making the link between writing and performing. CQ provides the opportunity to work with editors to clarify writing, maintaining a personal, experiential voice—writing from the body rather than about the body. See our submission guidelines.
- Encourage students to use the current issue ad section in the journal as a resource for summer programs and international events. The
- Bring issues of CQ to classes and jams, and put them out in student lounges.
- Purchase the historical Contact Improvisation DVDs from Videoda. Make sure your library has updated their collection from VHS to the recently available DVD format.
- Advertise your program and workshops in CQ.
- Order dance books and textbooks for classes from Contact Editions. Please make sure your library has the new second edition of Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen's Sensing, Feeling, and Action.
- Order your kneepads from CQ.
- Send interns to our office for a semester, interterm, or a year. Please email