CQ currently produces 2 ongoing online publications:
CQ Unbound (public access)
We welcome submissions year-round of original writings and media that offer an inside look at practice and creative work in contemporary dance, movement, somatics, and improvisation; concerning dancing, performance, dancemaking, and teaching. Writing formats include: essays, interviews, poems, fiction, photo essays, etc.—short or long. Send materials whenever they're ready. See Submission Guide below.
CQ Rolling Edition (public access)
We launched this blog format edition at the start of the COVID-19 global pandemic as a space to share ideas, resources, inventions, and initiatives as they emerge and adapt to the conditions of an ongoing Unknown. While continuing to chronicle news and views of Contact Improvisation, we welcome submissions from CQ's diverse community of explorers of improvisation in contemporary dance practice from around the world. Please send your writings (informal and formal), videos, podcasts, audio, photo essays, links to resources and discussions as they happen.
See Submission Guidelines for this new edition here.
Help us broaden our outreach for CQ material: CURATE an article. Document the work of teachers, colleagues, students, and collaborators whose work excites, challenges, informs, and/or inspires you. Record WHAT'S HAPPENING around you in the field of dance, improvisation, and performance. Interview someone; take notes at a workshop; review a performance; write short snapshots/portraits of people, events, situations. Call or email us for encouragement, suggestions, specifications, and other details.
Please note that all our online articles have a COMMENT section directly below them, waiting for your response and dialogue.
CQ welcomes your written, graphic and media contributions.
- Written Material
- Please send your text in a text file (Word, Open Office, Pages, preferred). Length: 4,000 words max
- Include title, subtitle, byline, a short contributor note, and complete contact information for the author.
- Let us know if your piece has previously been published in print or on the web, or is currently submitted elsewhere.
- Graphic Material
- Photos and graphics to accompany articles are strongly encouraged.
- Photos: Send as jpgs. Resolution: 72 dpi is minimum; 300 dpi is best. Include caption(s) and full photographer credit(s). Please get permission from photog and subjects before sending. If sending more than five images, please compress in a folder.
- Drawings: Scan as greyscale. If black ink on white paper, at 300 dpi. Drawings with gray tones should be scanned at 600 dpi. Save as jpg. Include captions and credits.
- PDFs are acceptable.
- Media: video and audio files
- Media files that are already uploaded on the web (youtube, vimeo, personal site, etc.) are preferred.
- If you have original media that is not uploaded, please write to us before sending.