CQ Publication Cycle
CQ publishes two double-season print journals a year:
Winter/Spring in January and Summer/Fall in May.
The Summer/Fall journal each year features a Folio on a particular theme.
COMING UP: CQ Volume 43 #2, Summer/Fall 2018
(Publication date: May 2018)
Includes articles, interviews, display ads, Dance Map Directory, and a special Folio.
CQ Folio 3 will feature writings from Choreomundus, an international master’s program that investigates dance and movement systems (ritual practices, martial arts, games, and physical theater) as Intangible Cultural Heritage within the contexts of Ethnochoreology, the Anthropology of Dance, Dance Studies, and Heritage Studies. Curated by CQ coeditor Melinda Buckwalter and Debbie Williams.
DEADLINE for open submission of essays, creative writing, interviews, and graphics/photos: February 15, 2018
CI Newsletter Deadline (online only): February 15, 2018
CQ UNBOUND—our online publishing wing:
Editorial material welcomed year round about dancing, performance, dancemaking, teaching, and improvisation. We review material and post articles year round on our website, so please send material whenever it's ready.
See Submission Guide below.
Help us broaden our outreach for CQ material: CURATE an article. Document the work of teachers, colleagues, students, and collaborators whose work excites, challenges, informs, and/or inspires you. Record WHATS HAPPENING around you in the field of dance, improvisation, and performance. Interview someone; take notes at a workshop; review a performance; write short snapshots/portraits of people, events, situations. Call or email us for encouragement, suggestions, specifications, and other details.
Not up for making an article but have something to say? Write a LETTER. We love getting mail from you and review all of our mail for possible publication. If you dont want your correspondence printed, please let us know.
CQ dance journal, Volume 44 #1, Winter/Spring 2019
(Publication date: January 2019) This issue will include articles, letters, Shelf Life, CI Essentials, Still Moving, display ads, Dance Map Directory, and the CI Newsletter.
Deadline to submit material for consideration is: August 1, 2018.
CQ welcomes your written and graphic contributions. Material that is succinct, requires little editing, and is accompanied by interesting graphics will be given first consideration. Please be patient while waiting for a reply; we review submissions for the print journal two times a year.
- Written Material
- Printed out or via email to .
- Include title, subtitle, byline, a short contributor note, and complete contact information for the author.
- Keep a copy of your manuscript—CQ will not return written material.
- Photos and graphics to accompany articles are strongly encouraged.
- Please get permission to reprint any copyrighted material before you send it.
- Let us know if your piece has been posted on the web, published, or submitted elsewhere.
- Graphic Material
- Photos: We are always looking for good dance pictures. Electronic images: please send compressed 300 dpi .tiffs or .jpegs, with caption, photo credit, and names of people in an email or separate file to . If sending more than five images, please send in separate emails.
Set digital cameras to highest dpi setting before shooting (300 dpi max), and save images at a minimum of 10 inches wide. If you only have 72 dpi resolution, please save your file as large as possible inches-wise (25 inches wide minimum).
- Drawings: Black ink on white paper is best. Include captions and credits. Mail to address above or scan at 600 dpi and send in an email.
- Mailing: Enclose stamped, self-addressed envelope for photos and graphics you wish to be returned.