CQ dance journal Publication Cycle
CQ publishes two double-season print journals a year:
Winter/Spring in January and Summer/Fall in May.
The Summer/Fall journal each year features a Folio on a particular theme.
COMING UP: CQ Volume 45 #1, Winter/Spring 2020
(Publication date: early 2020)
Includes articles, interviews, Shelf Life, CI Essentials, Still Moving, a special Folio, display ads, Dance Map Directory, and the CI Newsletter (online only).
DEADLINE to submit material for consideration: June 1, 2019
CI Newsletter Deadline: September 1, 2019
CQ UNBOUND—our online publishing wing:
Editorial material welcomed year round about dancing, performance, dancemaking, teaching, and improvisation. We review material and post articles year round on our website, so please send material whenever it's ready.
See Submission Guide below.
Help us broaden our outreach for CQ material: CURATE an article. Document the work of teachers, colleagues, students, and collaborators whose work excites, challenges, informs, and/or inspires you. Record WHATS HAPPENING around you in the field of dance, improvisation, and performance. Interview someone; take notes at a workshop; review a performance; write short snapshots/portraits of people, events, situations. Call or email us for encouragement, suggestions, specifications, and other details.
Not up for making an article but have something to say? Write a LETTER. We love getting mail from you and review all of our mail for possible publication. If you dont want your correspondence printed, please let us know.
CQ welcomes your written and graphic contributions. Material that is succinct, requires little editing, and is accompanied by interesting graphics will be given first consideration. Please be patient while waiting for a reply; we review submissions for the print journal two times a year.
- Written Material
- Printed out or via email to .
- Include title, subtitle, byline, a short contributor note, and complete contact information for the author.
- Keep a copy of your manuscript—CQ will not return written material.
- Photos and graphics to accompany articles are strongly encouraged.
- Please get permission to reprint any copyrighted material before you send it.
- Let us know if your piece has been posted on the web, published, or submitted elsewhere.
- Graphic Material
- Photos: We are always looking for good dance pictures. Electronic images: please send compressed 300 dpi .tiffs or .jpegs, with caption, photo credit, and names of people in an email or separate file to . If sending more than five images, please send in separate emails.
Set digital cameras to highest dpi setting before shooting (300 dpi max), and save images at a minimum of 10 inches wide. If you only have 72 dpi resolution, please save your file as large as possible inches-wise (25 inches wide minimum).
- Drawings: Black ink on white paper is best. Include captions and credits. Mail to address above or scan at 600 dpi and send in an email.
- Mailing: Enclose stamped, self-addressed envelope for photos and graphics you wish to be returned.