CQ currently produces two online publications:
CQ Unbound and CQ Contact Improvisation Newsletter
CQ Unbound (subscriber-exclusive)
We welcome submissions year-round of original writings that offer an inside look at practice and creative work in contemporary dance, movement, somatics, and improvisation; concerning dancing, performance, dancemaking, and teaching. Writing formats include: essays, interviews, poems, fiction, photo essays, etc.—short or long. Send materials whenever they're ready. See Submission Guide below.
CI Newsletter (public access)
Published twice a year online—in June and January—the CI Newsletter includes writings focused on sharing views of Contact Improvisation practice around the world. We welcome your reports, writings, essays, and photos. Submissions should be no longer than 1,500 words, and sent as a text (Word, Open Office, Pages) document. Photos should include captions and credits. Please make sure you have permission to publish from subjects and photographers before you submit them.
Next deadline: March 15, 2020
(Publication date: June 2020)
Send materials to and/or
Help us broaden our outreach for CQ material: CURATE an article. Document the work of teachers, colleagues, students, and collaborators whose work excites, challenges, informs, and/or inspires you. Record WHAT'S HAPPENING around you in the field of dance, improvisation, and performance. Interview someone; take notes at a workshop; review a performance; write short snapshots/portraits of people, events, situations. Call or email us for encouragement, suggestions, specifications, and other details.
Not up for making an article but have something to say? Please note that all our online articles have a COMMENT section directly below them, waiting for your response and dialogue.
CQ welcomes your written and graphic contributions. Texts for CQ Unbound can be up to 4,000 words. Material that is succinct, requires little editing, and is accompanied by interesting graphics will be given first consideration. Please be patient while waiting for a reply.
- Written Material
- Submissions should be sent as a text document (Word, Open Office, Pages, preferred).
- Include title, subtitle, byline, a short contributor note, and complete contact information for the author.
- Photos and graphics to accompany articles are strongly encouraged.
- Please get permission to reprint any copyrighted material before you send it.
- Let us know if your piece has previously been published in print or on the web, or is currently submitted elsewhere.
- Graphic Material
- Photos: Send as 300 dpi .jpgs, with caption, photo credit, and names of subjects in the email or separate file. Please get permission to publish any copyrighted material before you send it. If sending more than five images, please compress in a folder or send in separate emails.
- Drawings: Scan as greyscale if black ink on white paper. Drawings with gray tones should be scanned at 600 dpi. Save as .jpg. Include captions and credits.