CQ/CE Publishing Project Director
Nancy Stark Smith
Marion Barrios Solano
CI Newsletter Co-editors
Nancy Stark Smith
CI & CQ Archive
Marlon Barrios Solano (consultant)
Sara Smith (consultant)
CONTACT QUARTERLY, journal of dance, improvisation, performance, and contemporary movement arts, is the longest living, independent, artist-made, not-for-profit, reader-supported magazine devoted to the dancer's voice.
Founded in 1975, Contact Quarterly (CQ) began as a forum for discussion of the emerging dance form contact improvisation. Serving as a meeting ground for a worldwide network of contact improvisers, CQ quickly grew to include writings and interviews on postmodern and contemporary experimental dance, somatic movement practices, improvisational dance, mixed-abilities dance, teaching methods, creative process, and performance.
Providing a platform for seasoned and emerging artists and educators to communicate and dialogue about their work, CQ is a singular record of the developments over the last 45 years (see our Back Issues) and plays an active role in supporting the artists and creative forms that appear in, and reach beyond, our pages.
In January 2020, after producing the final issue of CQ as a print periodical (Vol. 45.1), we've transitioned to publishing exclusively on our year-round online journal—CQ Unbound—where subscribers can access original writings from 2008 ongoing.
We invite you to participate in the dialogue that is CQ. See how by clicking through our website. There are opportunities to submit writings to our online publications CQ Unbound and CI Newsletter and to comment on articles you read there and on CQ Article Gallery, a sampling of articles from our print journal. You can also see listings of dance & improvisation resources worldwide on our online Dance Map Directory.
|Current Issue||Article Gallery||CQ Unbound|
read articles from
CQ print journal
CQ is a resource for:
- materials about dance-making, creative process, collaboration, teaching and performance practices
- articles by dancers evolving new forms, concepts, and practices
- Contact Improvisors
- a biannual CI Newsletter with reports of CI activities and views from around the world
- CI "shoptalk" articles in print and online
- a CI Contacts List for finding CI events and practitioners worldwide
- Dance Students and Enthusiasts
- information about workshops and trainings
- an inside look at thoughts, practices, and creative work of professional dance and movement artists at all levels of their careers
- source material for academic papers
- an opportunity to feel connected with a worldwide community of dancers
- Dance Educators
- articles about teaching methods, for both young and seasoned teachers
- regular listings of new resources: books, DVDs, references
- Dance Scholars and Critics
- 45 years of original source material by and about prime movers in the field of contemporary dance and improvisation
- Somatic Practitioners and Dance Therapists
- experiential writings about the psychological, emotional, and physical effects of movement practices
- articles about body-mind practices including: Body-Mind Centering®, Feldenkrais®, Ideokinesis, Alexander Technique, Skinner Releasing®, Continuum, Authentic Movement, and DanceAbility