CQ Resources for Remote Dancing
Welcome to our Resources for Remote Dancing page during this challenging time of COVID-19 shelter-at-home. We know you are all improvising new ways of dancing, creating, teaching, and studying, whether out in the field or in the context of academia, and it's a heady time of invention. Here, we offer you some ideas for using the rich resources of Contact Quarterly.
- Right here on our website:
- CQ Rolling Edition our NEW! ongoing blog format publication (public)
- Article Gallery (public)
- CQ Contact Improvisation Newsletter (public)
- CQ Unbound journal (public)
There could be no better time to dip into our Contact Editions catalogue of unique books and DVDs on contemporary dance, improvisation, performance, and somatic movement arts.
- Use the search engine here on our site to locate articles and books by author or keywords both in print and on our online-features. For your own and your students' research and inspiration, some keywords that come to mind: teaching, scores, composition, improvisation.
Day 4 Group Score [anonymous], from "OUT-SCORE / IN-SCORE WORKSHOP: teaching artistic agency in contemporary choreographic practices," by Jeanine Durning and Liz Waterhouse. See CQ Vol. 39.1 W/S 2014.
- Reach into CQ's trove of Back Issues for writings by dance artists on processes of performance, improvisation, dance-making, somatic research, training the body, and more.
- Access them digitally through your school library system.
- Peruse your own collection of print issues, or request them from your library.
To get you started, CQ coeditor Melinda Buckwalter suggests:
SCORES FOR MOVEMENT AND DANCE
CQ Vol. 30 no. 2:
Following Jennifer Follow the Birds: interview with Jennifer Monson on Bird Brain Dance, by Nancy Galeota-Wozny
Two Streams/Many Ways: interview with Barbara Dilley on her dance improvisation practices, by Nancy Stark Smith
CQ Vol. 31 no. 2:
The Place of Space: interview with Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen on the embryological embodiment of space, by Nancy Stark Smith and Andrea Olsen
CQ Vol. 32 no. 1:
All at Once: dancing The Ridge in New York City parks, by Hana van der Kolk
Artifacts of the Ephemeral: a moving installation, by Colleen Bartley
The Emergent Improvisation Project: embodying complexity, by Susan Sgorbati
On the Streets, In the Forest: interview with Tamar Rogoff on community-based site work, by Sharyn Korey
CQ Vol. 32 no. 2:
Nina Martin's Ensemble Thinking: Compositional Strategies for Group Improvisation, by Nina Martin
Inter-views with Nina Martin: an interweaving of two interviews, by Jennifer Keller, Melinda Buckwalter, and Nancy Stark Smith
CQ Vol. 41 no. 2:
Technology of the Circle: interview with Onye Ozuzu, by Aretha Aoki
CQ Vol. 41 no. 1 AND ONLINE on CQ Article Gallery
IWB=Improvising While Black: writings, INterventions, interruptions, questions, by mayfield brooks, with interview by Karen Nelson
The Practice of Form: a class by Ralph Lemon, remembered by Aretha Aoki
CQ Vol. 44 no. 1:
Under Seeing: An Approach to Feeling and Sensing Performance, experiencing works by the BodyCartography Project by Olive Bieringa, Margit Galanter, Justin Jones, Arwen Wilder, and Asher Edes
The Dance of Description: evolution of a form, by Christie Svane
CQ Vol. 44 no. 2:
Rage, Walk, Rise, by Alexx Schilling with Alison D’Amato